After immigration officers murdered two people in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the DHS made some noises about outfitting officers with body cameras. Six months later — and following even more killings — nearly every officer was still bereft of state-owned recording devices.

The administration offered this excuse for its lack of compliance with its own promises:

While talking to reporters Tuesday, White House Border Czar Tom Homan said “hundreds” of cameras were purchased and sent to Minnesota following the shootings of Renee Good and Alex Pretti.

“But there wasn’t enough cameras to outfit every ICE agent, I was waiting up for more money,” Homan said.

MORE MONEY? That’s the excuse?!? Literally unbelievable. The “Big Beautiful Bill” had been passed months before the killings and nearly a year before Homan turned out his pockets to do his imitation of the “POOR TAX” Monopoly card.

The legislation makes U.S Immigration and Customs and Enforcement the largest federal law enforcement agency, giving it $45 billion for building new detention centers in addition to $14 billion for deportation operations. It also includes $3.5 billion for reimbursements to state and local governments for costs related to immigration-related enforcement and detention.

Having thrust its way back into the headlines in the worst way possible, DHS is finally setting a deadline for a full rollout of body cameras:

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement said Saturday it expects every officer and agent in the field to be equipped with a body camera by the end of August, a rapid expansion that could provide an unprecedented visual record of the federal government’s immigration enforcement operations.

Good news? Well, maybe. I mean, it’s been known for years that body cameras do more for law enforcement officers than they do for things like accountability or transparency. Pinning cameras to ICE officers probably isn’t going to alter that reality… especially when ICE has made it clear from the outset that it’s rarely, if ever, going to make body camera footage public.

[T]he agency’s body-worn camera policy could mean taxpayers who are pitching in tens of millions of dollars to pay for the cameras may be kept in the dark about some high-profile confrontations, at least in their immediate aftermath.

The policy says ICE will promptly release video of shootings and other encounters in which its agents cause death or serious injury only after determining “it is in the best interests of the agency” to do so. That gives its director discretion to release recordings that reflect well on the agency’s image while working to keep others secret, experts on body camera policies said.

This policy dates back to the first months of Trump’s second presidency. Issued on February 18, 2025 (and updated a day later), it gives ICE considerable discretionary control over body cam footage releases, even as it pretends ICE might release recordings of injuries or deaths “in custody” within 72 hours of their occurrence. By adding a bunch of asterisks to something that’s supposed to look like a release-by-default directive, ICE retains the power to block releases of footage deemed to be of public interest if it decides its own interests are more important.

ICE has responded to this reporting of things its body cam footage actually says by claiming what’s been reported isn’t actually what the policy will allow the agency to do. Here’s acting ICE director David Venturella with the spin:

“ICE policy permits expedited release when appropriate — and clarifies that it’s not appropriate to release footage when doing so could compromise investigations or privacy,” Venturella said. “This approach mirrors other federal law enforcement agencies’ policies and is fully consistent with the Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act.”

He continued: “At the same time, we’re committed to transparency and accountability, and we’re on track to equip every officer and agent in the field with body-worn cameras by the end of August, ahead of our original timeline.”

Venturella is affirming the same reporting he’s disagreeing with. One assumes every ICE shooting or confrontation resulting in severe injury will be “investigated.” Whether these investigations will be sincere and/or objective hardly matters. All that matters is that ICE can say the incident is still under investigation and refuse to release footage until the investigation has been concluded. There is no statutory time limit on internal investigations, which means that ICE can withhold this footage indefinitely. So, the reporting Venturella claims is false is actually just an accurate portrayal of the ICE’s body cam footage policy — a portrayal that’s been stripped of the legalese and dissembling ICE would prefer remain in place.

ICE officers are getting cameras… allegedly. But it looks like the general public will be unable to verify this rollout via ICE releases or public records requests. And officers who kill or main American residents and citizens will not only be allowed to review their recordings before filing reports/making statements to investigators (another feature/bug of the February 2025 policy), but are pretty much guaranteed their potentially damning recordings will be buried by the agency that employs them.

Leave a Reply